Sunday, May 30, 2010

Soldiers of Love

Greetings from my favorite local cafe.

Finally I've carved out some time to write what has been rolling around in my head for a few weeks.

I walked in my PhD graduation ceremony a few weeks ago. I finished everything for the program last summer, but my school only runs its graduation once a year. So nearly a year later, I got the pomp and circumstance to make it all feel complete.

The keynote speaker gave what was on the whole not exactly a sunny address. As she looked down at the dozens of graduates, (undergrads just heading out into the world of teaching, seasoned teachers earning master's degrees, and the ten of us receiving our doctorates) she painted a realistic picture of the state of education in America today. She talked about how reform measures attached to NCLB haven't been working. She talked about how the policy being dreamed up across the country will continue this trend. I remember wondering what the rest of the audience was thinking--the friends and family members of the graduates who may or may not know much about the world of education. Did they think the speaker was angry or bitter? Did they believe the picture she was painting of the state of education? I wanted to stand up and look at the audience and shout, "she's right you know! It IS this bad and it's only getting worse! PLEASE get involved. DO SOMETHING! HELP US!"

But I didn't. That would have horrified my mother-in-law more than if I had worn my bright green chuck taylors under my commencement gown. (I did consider that shoe choice, but only for a minute).

The speaker left us with this request: we must be soldiers of love. We must fight for our students and for what we know serves them best in their lives in the complex world they will face beyond school. Me must make our voices heard. This is why I went to see Diane Ravitch speak and why I have told as many people as I can about what she had to say. This is why I work tirelessly with my teaching to offer my students a classroom experience that will prepare them for what lies ahead in their lives. This is why I listen to them to better understand who they are, where they are headed, and how my teaching can help them toward those goals. This is why I write, why I send out articles for publication, why I'm working on a book manuscript of my doctoral dissertation, why I apply to present at a variety of conferences. This is why I wrote my governor and asked him to veto the law the state legislature recently approved regarding teacher effectiveness. I asked him to not only veto this law but take a stand against the current national reform movement, not play along with the Race to the Top money, and be a leader in demanding more meaningful reform. This is why I asked my colleagues to sign on with me on this letter when I sent it to the local newspaper.

The governor still signed the bill into law, and the newspaper didn't publish the letter, but I still need to speak up and fight for what I believe will best serve my students.

Soldiers of love. This should be the name of the counter educational reform movement.

Join me?

--M. Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment